Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Grand Marais, Michigan




Every summer, and sometimes in the fall, someone in my family and I make a trip to Michigan's upper peninsula. This is a favorite place of ours to visit, and it has been somewhat of a family tradition to make this annual trip. My grandparents introduced me to this beautiful place when I went with them on a camping trip to Bay Mills campground at age nine.

Grand Marais, which is near the eastern entrance of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, is one of the places we most often go when we make our trip up to the U.P. On our most recent visit, during the first week of November, I went with my grandma, my aunt, and my mom. We stayed at the Voyageurs Motel, where, as you can see, there was a magnificent view of the Grand Marais harbor and Lake Superior. We only went for an overnight stay, so we didn't get to stick around long to enjoy this wonderful view, but it was a nice visit, and luckily, we had a few surprisingly warm, mid 70 degree, days of weather. It was great and I can't wait until the snow melts so we can get back up there.

Shown in the pics above are:
1) The sign of the place we stayed.
2) My grandma and my aunt relaxing and enjoying the beautiful view.
3) The view from the backside of the motel that overlooks the harbor, town, and Lake Superior. If you look closely, near the center, you can see the lighthouse and the breakwall.

No comments: